Never Married Birth Certificate, if born overseas birth certificate and/or passport is required
Divorced: Birth Certificate, Decree Absolute (divorce papers), if born OS birth certificate and/or passport
Widow/Widower: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate of spouse, if born OS, birth certificate and/or passport

Birth Certificate

You are required to present your original birth certificate from Births Deaths and Marriages to your celebrant.

Born Overseas

If you were born overseas a birth certificate, passport is required. If they have been lost or destroyed we can overcome this by completing a Statutory Declaration. I can provide and prepare this for you.

Legal Age To Be Married

To be married in Australia you must be over the age of 18 years. If you are younger than 18 you will need to apply to the courts for permission from a Judge to be married. Although, there would need to be extenuating circumstances as that request is rarely granted.

Notice of Intended Marriage

A Notice of Intended Marriage form is required to be filled in and lodged with your celebrant no later than one month and one day prior to your wedding date, and no more that 18 months before that date. Should you be overseas I can email/fax you the Notice of Intended Marriage form giving you instructions on how it should be completed and signed by the relevant parties. Once this form is completed you can fax it back to me here in Sydney Australia. The day of receipt by me is the “lodgement date”, this then makes it easy to lodge your notice in time.

A Notice of Intended Marriage can be obtained from myself or at an Australian Embassy, Australian High Commission or on line at just follow the links

All of the above mentioned documents, written in a foreign language, must be translated into English when signed by your Australian celebrant